Batman vs Superman? Whatever. X-Men: Days of Future Past? Meh! Avengers: Age of Ultron? Pffft!! Bananaman, that’s right, Bananaman (!!) is hitting screens in 2015!!

What’s that you say? Who the hell is Banana­man? Good ques­tion. In the UK, he’s some­thing of a Brit­ish insti­tu­tion in the world of kid’s com­ics. Out­side of the UK? Well, I’m not so sure. So let’s start with a bit of back­ground information.

But no, wait, before we do that, check out the announce­ment page for the movie. Done that? Good.

He star­ted life back in 1980, as a major char­ac­ter in Nutty comic, and was cre­ated by Dave Don­ald­son and Steve Bright, and drawn most not­ably by John Geer­ing. When Nutty comic col­lapsed, it was merged with The Dandy, and Banana­man found a new home. How­ever, as recently as Decem­ber 2012, The Dandy then ceased to be. Luck­ily, Banana­man lives on in the pages of one of The Dandy’s biggest rivals back in the day, The Beano.

Banana­man was always designed as kind of a spoof of super­her­oes, a mix of Super­man and Bat­man, among oth­ers. His alter-ego is actu­ally a little kid called Eric Wimp (in an anim­ated car­toon series, this was changed to Eric Twinge), who upon eat­ing a banana, trans­forms into Bananaman.

article-main-new-bananaman-movie

His powers have var­ied over the years. Above all, he has has super strength. His other abil­it­ies are, with some of them being tongue in cheek: flight, invul­ner­ab­il­ity, breath­ing in space, Helium-boosted heat fin­ger, and intense stu­pid­ity. Yes, that last one really is one of his powers! He also has some Bat­man style gad­gets: thermal banana, banana laser gun, and elec­tronic thermal under­wear (I pre­sume to keep his banana warm).

As you can see, bana­nas are kind of a theme.

I loved Banana­man as a kid. Typ­ic­ally Brit­ish, the stor­ies were irrev­er­ent, and goofy. Per­haps, without real­ising, they were also a pretty good advert for healthy eat­ing. The more bana­nas he ate, the more power­ful he became. How­ever, mouldy bana­nas were like krypton­ite to him. I used to copy out whole comic strips of Banana­man, and make up my own daft stor­ies with him in them. He was a pretty big part of my childhood.

So, as you can ima­gine, my jaw pretty much hit the floor when I found out they’re mak­ing a god­damn Banana­man movie! Did you check out the link in the second para­graph? If not, here it is again. It comes with the hashtag of #peelthep­ower, and a theme that prob­ably gave me more goose­bumps than most well-known block­busters. Amus­ingly, I’ve also read that in the com­ics they’ve star­ted using the tag line, “Man of Peel”.

article-new-bananaman-movie-baddies

Banana­man, and some of the vil­lains he fights, includ­ing Gen­eral Blight and Appleman!

Of course, there’s every chance that the movie will never live up to expect­a­tions. Details are scarce at the minute. Is it live action, or anim­ated? My guess would be the lat­ter, and it will have to go some way to top­ping any­thing that Pixar can churn out (well, okay, maybe not Cars). But who knows? I’d like to be proved wrong.

13 Comments

1. theipc says:

hmmmm — do I remem­ber this from my youth?? For some reason I have vague memor­ies of this.…

2. MojosWork says:

Oh Banana­man. This takes me back. Hope­fully it suc­ceeds and they take Mar­vel Stu­dios’ lead by fol­low­ing up with Danger Mouse and Count Duck­ula, before all three team up in an epic block­buster in 2022.

• Monkeyboy says:

Hell yeah, they would have to set it in Big City which has come under attack from Cara­c­ta­cus P. Doom. The Avenger Pen­guins would be called in to assist.

• MojosWork says:

Okay, so I take great pride in remem­ber­ing not only obscure car­toon char­ac­ters from yes­teryear, but also their theme songs. I mean, I remem­ber things like the short-lived Legend of Zelda toon, Dino Riders, and RUDE DOG! So I’m ashamed to say I have never EVER heard of Avenger Pen­guins, and that intro is so badass, I would have surely recalled hear­ing it at least once.

• Monkeyboy says:

It was made by Cos­grove Hall who made Dan­germouse, but was nowhere near as suc­cess­ful, so prob­ably under­stand­able if you’ve never heard of it. To be hon­est, if you look at the Wiki­pe­dia page for Cos­grove Hall, they did a ton of other kids pro­grammes that I’ve never heard of.

3. movierob says:

I actu­ally do recall see­ing Banan­man in the states. can’t recall when tho.

NIce post!

• Monkeyboy says:

For the record, I was never a massive fan of the car­toon. I pre­ferred the com­ics, which I’m guess­ing prob­ably even less people have seen in the states. Whether that bodes well for the film…

4. ruth says:

There is actu­ally a char­ac­ter called Banana­man? WOW!! I grew up w/ some European com­ics like Tintin and this Dutch spy series Danny & Katia among them, but I’ve never heard of this! I can’t ima­gine a live action ver­sion of this though, but hey, if Pixar did this like The Incred­ibles, it could be a lot of fun!

• Monkeyboy says:

Haha, yes, there really is a Banana­man. I ima­gine they’ll prob­ably have a tenth of the budget of a Pixar movie, so lord knows how it’ll turn out. :) As for Tintin, I loved those com­ics as a kid. But I’ve never even heard of Danny & Katia! Will have to check those stor­ies out somehow.

5. This sounds hil­ari­ous, I love that Brit­ish irrev­er­ent humour. Some of those super powers sound more like side effects hehe. I’ll have to keep my eye out for this when it comes out.

6. John Zoro says:

What’s Next? Count Duck­ula in 2016?